Kindergarten to 2nd Program
Montessori Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd Grade (K-2)
The Montessori K-2 Program is rooted in the philosophy and teaching methods of Dr. Maria Montessori. Small class size provides children with one-on-one teaching opportunities in the subject areas of Practical Life, Sensorial, Language and Literacy, Math, Geography, Science, the Arts, and Social/Cultural awareness.
Discovery Montessori K-2
Our Montessori Program offers
- Safe and Secure Environment
- Trained, Experienced Teachers
- Well Equipped Classrooms with specialized Montessori materials
- Creative Playgrounds
- Learning Centers, Story Time, Interactive Play
- Independent, self-directed learning and self assessment
- Mixed age groups of students
- Encouragement of parental involvement
COMPONENTS OF OUR MONTESSORI K-2
Our teaching approach assists in a smooth transition along the students’ academic path to elementary school because the Montessori K-2 curriculum is directly correlated with the Washington Standards of Learning. Due to such intentional and thoughtful teaching practices the students tend to meet and exceed expectations for students of their age and are fully prepared to begin their formal education eager, curious, and with a love of learning.
Students learn through the senses by sorting, matching and comparing objects by shape, touch, taste & sound.
By using number rods, golden beads and spindle boxes, students learn to understand and express mathematical terms.
Through the clever use of globes, puzzle maps and flags, Montessori students study and understand other cultures, people and countries. Elements of the Natural World are also taught through pictures and name cards.
Music, arts & crafts, storytelling, movements and drama activities are an integral part of the Montessori classroom.
Language materials like sandpaper letters for tracing and feeling their way through their fingers while told the sounds.
Children are taught special skills to be independent, capable and self-reliant. Montessori Principles
- Freedom of choice with responsibility
- Foster independence and self motivation
- Developing character and positive self image
- Instructive materials
- Respect for all life and diversity